Conversations

Yesterday at my orthopedic doctor appointment,  I looked around. Six feet of space. Masks on. Sanitizer available. Coffee bar out of order. 

Yep. All normal. 

Now please understand this. Since Covid restrictions have started, I’ve been definitely healthier in that I’m no longer getting all the normal bugs I usually get all year long. 

I like not being sick with normal stuff. 

But I think something else has happened. Something not so good. And it’s one that we can correct. You just have to be intentional.

Connection. 

As I sat in my chair far away from everyone, I noticed a young man. He had a knee brace on. His hair was fixed in a dreadlock updo. He was college age and obviously uncomfortable. 

I cleared my throat and got his attention. “Football?” I asked, pointing at his knee. He nodded yes. And then we started talking. 

We talked football and college and scouts and pro ball and hopes and dreams…his. We also talked about disappointment and plan b and choosing to make hard decisions. 

He talked about his struggles with the change in plans. That he got hurt 2 minutes in to the second game of the season. That there were definitely some dark days of disappointment. 

The main thing…we talked. Person to person. Connected. I heard his heart and his fears. A perfect stranger in a doctor’s office. 

Be praying for Jason. He’s got some unknown days ahead. But now he knows he has an adopted momma here in Houston who he can call. Just in case. 

After all. He’s connected now. And this momma is praying for him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Library, My Refuge

That Day